Hello everyone, I'm Tsuchiya.
Have you all already gotten [Singing Hill ~Ar=Ciel Ar=Dor~], which was released the last week? Personally, I've liked it a lot, and haven't stopped playing it back over and over since some time ago. At the same time, I'd like to thank the large amount of people that participated in our sponsored Web project [Let's Revive Ar Ciel with the Feelings of Everyone!]. At first, I thought it'd be a laid back project that would take around two weeks to reach a number worthy of a milestone, but on the first day alone we had already crossed 1/3 of the maximum threshold, and there were even was an uproar from our internal staff, who were saying "They'll finish this up in three days! What should we do!?". Actually, the project reached its conclusion in just one week, so I was very surprised to see how interested you all were on it. I'll be looking forward to making some other project like this with you all at some other time. If I ever get other chance, I'll seriously do my best for it.
Well then, this time I replied to roughly a 90% of the questions I received. I'll continue receiving your submissions next time too, so please make sure to participate!
As always, thanks a lot for the answers to our questions.
This time, I have some questions about the Cosmospheres.
1) What is roughly the ratio of couples that have managed to reach Lv. 9?
2) Which was the main cause for couples that weren't able to reach it?
- The Diver became afraid of going into the deeper levels.
- He or her couldn't collect enough Talk Topics and thus could never access them.
I couldn't come up with anything else, but I wonder if any of these two are the main cause, and if there any reasons for not being able to reach that level...
3) If anyone aside of their one and only partner, such as for example, a friend or casual companion managed to get the Reyvateil to Dive with them, how deep would they be allowed to Dive, and would it change depending on if they are suitable for Dive or not?
I wonder about this because, in the games, Croix was said to not be suitable for Diving and thus could only get to Lv. 5, while the other two main characters could even reach levels 8 and 9...
Well, I think that regardless of being a main character or not, anyone would be able to do so by being frank and open, yet I wonder how they would stack against the prevailing view of the Dives.
1) The couples that reach Lv. 9 are rare enough to be considered as heroes of their current time period. Therefore, only a few people from the general populous of, for example, Sol Ciel, can say they have reached it.
2) Originally, it wasn't done on the premise of marriage, but on the fact that if both partners aren't committed to devote their entire lives to each other, they won't be allowed to subconsciously go beyond Lv. 5. That was because subconsciously, they decided that [the scenario of the Soulspace was created to end around Lv. 5]. However that isn't necessarily true, as the limit isn't actually fixed on that level, and the Diver could even go seamlessly from levels 2 to 7 before hitting the limit line. As for the reasons behind not being able to reach that level, remember that from a setting standpoint, things such as [Talk Topics] don't exist and therefore can't be a possible cause. As for becoming afraid of Diving and not reaching these levels, while it could be a possible factor, it isn't a definitive one either. The greatest reason for this is as follows: [due to the inevitability of the subconscious scenarios], as this is something over which the conscious self (including fears and such emotions) can't absolutely take any decisions. To begin with, what we call [Dive Levels] are no more than the consequence of Dive Shops looking at the FFT Spectrum they are supervising in the middle of a Dive, pointing at the highest parts (frequency bands) that have specially large fluctuations of energy inside it, and defining them by ranks according to their so-called [Ranking Values], which aren't grounded on science at all. Therefore, this means that if the zone equivalent to the Lv. 5 inside of that Reyvateil ends, that's where that level will end, although occasionally they'll finally reach the frequency band equivalent to Lv. 5 only after reaching the end of the level.
3) Of course there are veteran Divers, especially in the first half of the Cosmospheres (up to Lv. 4). They are the people who studied on [tricks to open the hearts of the people]. Still, given that if they reached any point beyond Lv. 4 or tricked others they wouldn't be able to Dive any further, in the end is inevitable [for their emotions to honestly clash with those of the Reyvateil]. It's because of this sole reason that this happens. If we talk about who's suitable and who isn't for Diving, [Divers that don't open their heart to anyone] and [Divers that don't honestly deal with the feelings of the Reyvateil] are unable to continue progressing to the deepest levels. That is because these emotions (fear and laziness) are perceived by the subconscious sensibility of the Reyvateil, which is why their scenarios end by levels 4 or 5.
As for why the final levels which Lyner, Croix and Aoto could reach differ between each of them, honestly that's completely because of how the game systems were structured.
Rhaplanca isn't a demi-goddess. That is actually the name of a saint unique to the region of Metafalss. This means that in this world where [Gods] have been proven to exist, Metafalss expressly made up [an imaginary saint who isn't either a God or a human], which could be perceived as an special characteristic that doesn't exist in any of the other regions. In short, we can end up thinking that [even Gods aren't completely pure and can betray the humans too]. This also means that they were worshipping an ideal, flawless and incorruptible figure in her, and because of that, in the end they can be compared to the religions that exist in our real world Earth. In layman's terms, we could say she was quite a two-dimensional character, but she was still the most popular character that the Metafalssians ever conceived.
Upon reading the Singing Hill ~Ar=Ciel Ar=Dor~ booklet, I came up with a few questions I wished to ask.
1) Since the people of Ar Ciel had the techological strenth to make Towers that extended all the way up to the space, didn't they have enough of it to search for other planets or make each region interact with each other in a positive way?
2) Looking at its position in the map, was the Teru holy land destroyed by the Seven Bloodstains Incident?
1) Actually, an international community had already been established by the time in which they could build the Towers. If you look at the timeline of our current Earth, in the 1800's exploring the entire planet seemed to be faraway dreams, given the number of places that hadn't been explored yet as well as the ones for which there weren't any roads leading to them. Compared to that, it was beyond 1000 years between the time in which Sol Ciel and Sol Cluster first made contact (2022 AD) until the time in which the Grathnode Inferia happened (3040 AD). The final region with which contact was established was Metafalss in 3016 AD, 24 years before the Grathnode Inferia, but naturally, this doesn't mean none of the other regions knew about its existence after contact was established, so the technological cooperation between them wasn't something impossible. Rather, your first question seems to be more like an attempt at comparing Ar Ciel to Earth's civilizations.
2) Yes, that is correct. Syestine is located right below the Third Tower, and right now is no more than a large pool of magma.
I'm one of the buyers of the limited edition of [Singing Hill ~Ar=Ciel Ar=Dor~]. I was pretty glad with how great the songs and booklet were!
Well then, I have a couple of questions, so I'd be very thankful if you can answer them.
1) Aoto and the others did a [Dive] in Ar Ciel during Ar tonelico 3, so which would be the frequencies that correspond to Ar Ciel's Dive Lv. 1? Reyvateils have that level around the 20000 Hz band, so I was wondering which would be the frequency for a Planet.
2) I don't think that a question like this has a concrete answer, but as it's something that has been bothering me, I decided to go on and ask it anyway (sweatdrops.
What's the language used in the lyrics for [The Forest of Shelanoir]? When I first listened to it attentively, I thought [I can't understand this at all. It has to be Ar Ciela!], but booklet has the lyrics written in Hymmnos letters.
Of course, Ar Ciela is an entirely different language, so I thought up the possibility of this being [the language used by the Teru when they talked with nature], so... would that be the case?
Also, while it's true that [Ec Tisia ~Tarifa~] is a sung by the Planet, its lyrics are also written in Hymmnos letters, so I was wondering if there was any particular reason for these two specific songs needing to have its lyrics written in Hymmnos letters...
1) Strictly speaking, Aoto and his party... that is, everyone excepting Tyria, didn't perform a Dive into Ar Ciel's Soulspace. The only one who actually Dived into it was Tyria. Additionally, Diving into Ar Ciel... that itself is a slightly faulty expression. To put it into simpler terms, it would be the same thing as [Diving into Japan's Soulspace]. As Ar Ciel isn't an individual being, but an assembly of several planetary-level Wills, Diving into it is different from Diving in the Reyvateils. A more accurate way of calling this would be [Translation]: this means that Tyria grasps the [feelings] of the Will of the Planet from their natural frequency bands and sends them to Harvestasha XP for processing, which [materializes them in the physical plane (regardless of if they have an actual mass)]. By the way, it's said that the minimal frequency band that can be used for conversing with the Planet is around the 18000 Hz zone.
2) The lyrics for "The Forest of Shelanoir" are written in a prototype version of Carmena Foreluna. We could also call it an intermediate step in the transition from Ar Ciela to Carmena Foreluna, or even a corrupted version or dialect of Ar Ciela. It also was the linguistic system the Teru used a long time ago.
Generally speaking, that's what it does. It's related to pseudo-parallel processing and amplification, as using it allows to increase the power of the main emotions of a Hymmnos song to its root mean square value. As for the words themselves, in exchange for dispensing with the redundant ornamentation and adding the usage of complementary, equivalent words of a shorter length but with similar feelings to them, it becomes possible to mechanically amplify these feelings by continuously repeating the shortening in the execution time. As this is a method devised by Akane herself, she is the one who generally reaps the greatest benefits from it.
1) There was a scene in 3, in which Clustania's battleships were dropped into the Sea of Death due to one of Saki's song. Would it be possible to save the crew that was in them?
2) What's the opinion the inhabitants of Ar Ciel have on life and death? There's a large variety on these outlooks depending on the region where they live?
There will be some harsh days due to the constant changes in atmospheric pressure, so please make sure to take good care of yourself.
1) It's sad, but there's no way to save them.
2) Naturally, these outlooks differ from a region to other. Whenever they are about to die, the people from these regions feel attached to life from weakest to strongest: Metafalss, Sol Cluster and Sol Ciel. This is because the Metafalssians don't think that [death] is an eternal abyss of nothingness, and instead have strong implications of it being the beginning of an entirely new life. As for Sol Cluster, they don't really have any cultural nuances on death, but rather environmental ones due to having a survivalist view of the world, so they always feel death close by and are always ready to accept it. Therefore, Sol Ciel is the civilization that has the highest fear to dying.
Basically, no. The reason for this is that Reyvateils aren't capable of consciously changing their voices. It's an small mistake to think that because Song Magic is based from fantasies, anything is possible, but the part that controls the singing of Hymmnos acts subconsciously, where the [model] for the personality of an individual is located, and that is something that rarely can be modified. That is because of it being the part that has the tremendously important role of deciding [the worth in our existence] for the society, and because of that it's that we subconsciously try to assert ourselves. The systems for Hymmnos are located inside that vortex of feelings, and because that is the part for asserting our individuality, it appeals [what we are] strong and unconditionally to our consciousness. That is manifested in [the individuality of the songs (musical trend, emotional trend, lyrics)] and in the [voice type]. Therefore, while it's theoretically very possible for a Reyvateil to have a [model] that allows her to invoke Song Magic with a [male voice], it'd be hard to say if that would be normal or abnormal. Anyway, as for being able to sing with a male voice, female voice, or even with a female voice different from the singer's own natural voice, theoretically that would be impossible due to [to the vocal chords being one of the unshakable parts of a person's individuality].
Thank your for answering my questions in the previous issue. This time, I have one about outputs.
According to the Settei Book, Infel Phira can process a maximum of 10000 events. So, when EXEC_with.METHOD_METAFALICA/. was sung at the end of Ar tonelico 2, I think that maximum threshold was crossed. Considering this, that means that the effects of METHOD_METAFALICA/. would only take in account up to the 10000th Reyvateil and ignore the rest?
If I had to answer this in a simple way, while it's true that 10000 IPDs sang together for the [Combined Metafalica], only one event was executed. This because these 10000 IPDs are counted as [inputs], but not as [outputs]. Infel Phira's Sarre Mode indeed has the rule of [Input Number = Output Number], but the other modes work differently on this regard. Incidentally, Replekia has a maximum output limit of a few dozens, while Metafalica has a limit of one. Still, it would be really easy to misinterpret these facts, so let's go over it again with this new information added: both Replekia Mode and Sarre Mode work under similar situations, so any individual Reyvateil can sing Song Magic while they are being executed. This also means that any Reyvateil can use their own Song Magic while Replekia is being sung. However, Mode Metafalica operates differently, and give the great importance it was designed to have, only one Reyvateil can use Song Magic during its execution: the singer herself. This essentially means that while the [Combined Metafalica] is being executed, no other IPD can use Song Magic at the same time.
It's always fun to get this to read.
1) When Metafalica failed, several monsters were created alongside Deathlandia, but if it was executed successfully, it would still create animals and monsters?
2) The civilization has advanced enough to study Hymmnos as just music and record them in media similar to CDs, or hold concerts based around them?
(It's a digression, but I think the Metafalssians would have taken all possible measures to listen to [EXEC_with.METHOD_METAFALICA/.] whenever they wanted.)
1) They will be created if they are needed. I wouldn't dare to say if that will actually happen, but as an example, if there were several IPDs with the idea of [the humans will band together and attack us during a crisis], that could be connected to a possible apparition of monsters in Metafalica.
2) This wasn't shown during the game, but there's a kind of Telemo that can record music called the [Teleon]. In Metafalss, they are pretty expensive items and thus not many people have access to them, but over at the Third Tower, in Clustania, pretty much everyone has one.
1) We were told that the uppercase letters in Carmena Foreluna are used to express reverence, but how do they affect pronunciation during singing? (What difference they have in pronunciation from the lowercase letters?)
2) Reyvateils can't Download Hymmnos songs all by themselves, right?
1) They are distinguished by the uppercase letters having a stronger pronunciation. The notation of Carmena Foreluna has very strong implications of being handed-down instructions, so it's pretty much like the staccato symbols used in musical scores: they have the basic idea of being a marker of "put stronger feelings in this part". In practice it's just like this, as they won't show any effect if they aren't sung in a stronger way (of course, there's always the possibility of they having either weakening or strengthening effects).
2) No, they can't. This is done in order to avoid security-related problems.
1) The blade of Akane's sword is bright red, but is that because an special metal was used to make, or simply because it was colored during its creation?
2) If there was a being like Teppo at Metafalss, would it be capable of recognizing bugs such as the collapse of Cloche's third level or the two Lv. 7s that Jakuri had?
3) From "The Heart Speaks" and the two Lv. 7s, it seems that Jakuri was given a very special treatment among the Heroines. There was any particular reason for that?
1) No, no special metal was used for making it. It's just because, from a design standpoint, that would imply how strong she was.
2) I think that Teppo would detect them as cracks. However, as they are different from Finnel's case, what he did to solve the cracks by [connecting the worlds] wouldn't be possible in either Cloche's or Jakuri's Cosmospheres. At the least, it wouldn't be wrong to let him intervene in these cases.
3) There was no special treatment. If there were many people that perceived it as such, it means that I made an error of judgment, so whenever I create something from now on, I'll make sure to take much more care to avoid committing this same mistake again (and by the way, upon seeing the reception that AT2 got upon its release, I made everything in AT3 so everyone saw that its Heroines were being treated equally, and I put my all in making sure of that). Regarding [The Heart Speaks], I could never imagine that what we devised as a post-ending Song during production would become something that would cause so many ripples, so I could only reflect on how my lack of foresight and imaginative power caused things to come to this. As for the two Lv. 7s in the Soulspace, that was made as an important gimmick, so if you think about it with that mindset, you would see that Finnel ended up having 13 levels. And actually, Jakuri's two Level 7's and Finnel's fake Levels 2, 3, 4 and 5 have no more lines put together than a standard Cosmosphere level, so as for the volume of attention that each Heroine was given, I planned and paid quite a lot of attention to make sure that everything went as it was planned, despite how incompetent I am. Still, about all of this, I'll make sure from now on to not continue causing you all discomfort with my foolishness and pay much more attention to everything I do. So please, always continue looking over me.
Why there are always Antibodies attacking in Moocheriel (this excludes the final dungeon and the fields), regardless of if Tyria and Ar Ru fused and the facility itself was shut down?
I understand that in the final dungeon the Antibodies weren't under Ar Ru's control anymore, and were instead controlled by the Consensus of Ar Ciel, but...
I'm very sorry. I can only answer that this is the consequence of several problems we had with the production costs and resources while making the game.
Thanks for all your hard work.
1) Cocona and Croix look like siblings who get along quite well, but they never had any quarrels or anything of that sort?
2) That certain suit used by Lady Shurelia can only be used by her? (Would anybody else be able to wear it if they tried?)
3) Do you have any plans to use the Ar tonelico characters for any different, unrelated franchises or products?
1) Yes, of course they had quite a few. If there's a lot of interest, we could reveal these occurences to you all in some way.
2) No, Shurelia is the only one who can wear it.
3) I can't answer personal questions, so I'm afraid I'll have to stay silent about this one.
Thanks for all your hard work. There are a few things that bothered me about some of the Hymmnos songs, so I decided to ask about them.
1) I think that Tilia's heart underwent various changes from how it was 700 years ago to how it is now due to her encounter with Aoto. Therefore, Rebirthia Protocol shouldn't have underwent a Hymmnos Fusion as a consequence of this?
2) The feelings contained in Chronicle Key were crafted by Shurelia?
After playing through Ar tonelico 1 once again, I came up with a few questions.
1) Which would be the percentage of the functions of the Tower that Lady Shurelia can use? I considered this after hearing that she didn't have an unlimited access to all its functions...
2) A Reyvateil becomes able to access the Tower upon reaching Dive Lv. 9 and touching the Tower, but how many of its functions could she use? As far I can see from Mir, she would be theoretically capable of doing things like Lady Shurelia and the other, but is that actually possible?
3) We could see that from before Ar tonelico 1, Mir's actions allowed her to directly access the Tower, but if she wanted, she was also able to execute songs such as Suspend??
1) Less than a 10%.
2) That doesn't mean that "she'll become able to consciously control the Tower". That line of "becoming able to use the power of the Tower" was, to put in layman's terms, a big exaggeration for the sake of the speeches given at that moment, as actually the Reyvateil only gets an special access to the Tower's resources that greatly increases her singing efficiency. As for the Ar tonelico Song Magic and other similar ones, they are actually different from the Extracts that are executed to control the functions of the Tower in that they are created from the feelings of the Heroines connecting with the Tower at the very bottom of their minds, so they aren't no more than magic made out from their fantasies.
3) I think she'd be able to sing Suspend. Of course, she would need to make several preparations, technical hacking and analyzing it before being able to execute it successfully. However, I don't think she would be doing such a risky hacking for expressly executing a Song that would render her unable to do anything.
Thank for all your hard work.
By the way, there's no possibility of selling the scores of the Hymmnos songs for piano or bands? I've tried several times to get them down by ear, but there are several parts I can't transcribe at all...
Basically, publishing them in a way similar to the Hymmnote. If you can consider it, I'd be very glad.
I'm sorry to say it, but unfortunately, a score for the Hymmnos songs isn't currently a realistic possibility. For example, the Hymmnote, which only covered the opening and endings songs was over 30 pages in length, and while we intended to publish every single part of these songs in it due to being an special bonus, unfortunately we couldn't completely write down the parts that corresponded to the percussion instruments. If we ever released an official score for them, everyone would demand for it to be as exact as possible, and due to its much higher page count and work required, it would cost us a lot to make. So while I'm very sorry, the demand for it (potential buyers) and costs have made us decide that it isn't realistic for now.
Thank you for your replies in each issue.
1) How large is the Symphonic Power range of the Third Tower? I guess that not even the relay antenna installed in the airship shown in Tilia's normal ending would change it, so would it just be limited to the Cluster region?
2) It's official that only the Reyvateils that are directly connected to Ar tonelico can use the EOLIA-Alpha Note, and the ones connected to Ar tonelico through Sol Marta can used the FRELIA-Alpha Note? (as long as they are inside their respective Symphonic Power ranges)
Or can both kinds of Reyvateils connected to Ar tonelico use the FRELIA-Alpha Note freely?
3) There were some occasions in which Hymmnos Extracts from the Third Tower used words from the EOLIA-Alpha Note, but is this an example of [Words that Belong to the First Tower that have the same meaning and reading that were registered in the TILIA-Alpha Note], or was just a matter of [adult circumstances while writing the lyrics]...?
1) As it would seem from its size, its range is much narrower than that of the First Tower. Since it wasn't originally envisioned for giving usage of Song Magic to its neighboring areas and isn't equipped with proper Grathnode Discs, its range can only get at its best to the area where El Duel was located.
2) They don't have to be connected to Sol Marta: both kinds can freely use the EOLIA-Alpha and FRELIA-Alpha Notes. After all, both servers are stored inside the First Tower of Ar tonelico.
3) I'm very sorry. That happened because of a mistake on our part.
Midir sang the [Song of Destruction] to destroy the world in the Drama CD [Claire ~Promise of the Breeze~], but which phenomena would have manifested in the real word if she had continued singing it to the end?
I answered a similar question back in the [Third Issue] of the Ar Ciel Technical Data Compilation Room. Please make sure to give it a read.